What is Radon Gas?
Radon Gas has been identified as the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Radon Gas is a naturally occurring radioactive gas generated by the decay of Uranium in soil, rocks and water. Because Radon Gas is odorless and invisible, the only way to know if your home or workplace has elevated levels is to test. Testing is inexpensive and is recommended by the U.S. Surgeon General. Radon is a known carcinogen and there is no known safe level of Radon. Radon Gas levels can vary greatly from one house to another, it is important for everyone to test, regardless of what test levels your neighbor may have.
How does Radon enter your home?
The vacuum, or negative pressure within a home, causes Radon rich soil gases to move from the soil into a home. A combination of temperature induced stack effect as well as a variety of exhaust systems within a home contribute to varying degrees of negative pressure. This variance in negative pressure changes the amounts of Radon Gas that enters a home on an hourly, daily and seasonal basis. Because Radon is a single atom, it can move through the smallest of cracks and openings in all types of flooring. Radon can also enter the home through your well water.
What are the Health risks?
The primary health risk associated with breathing air containing Radon is lung cancer. The Centers for Disease Control, the American Lung Association and the American Medical Association are all in agreement that thousands of lung cancer deaths each year are caused by Radon. Please explore our Links page for more information pertaining to health risks associated with Radon exposure.